Travel Post-Mortem (2018)
I have a confession to make: there was an ulterior motive to traveling to Taiwan. It was a way for me to test out packing strategies for future trips, as well as seeing what is an acceptable weight for my Osprey Farpoint 55 travel backpack1.
Ok, it’s not as dramatic as it sounds, but I’m gonna share with you the travel post-mortem I created during my train ride back to Taoyuan International Airport in Taipei. It outlines what I learned from my brief stint and mostly focuses on what to bring and what not to bring, with a tl;dr at the end of the post. Enjoy!
- Unless you’re doing something that requires different types of shoes, don’t bring more than one pair.
- Not terribly necessary to bring first aid items (bandages, antibacterial cream, etc.)
- (For trips longer than 5 days) Instead of bringing one week of clothes, bring 5 days-worth and do laundry.
- iPad or MacBook Pro: pick one.
- Neck brace is good for sleep, but needs support from the pillow.
- Hair wax is okay, but most of the time unnecessary (if walking around a lot)
- Use credit card if able, cash secondary.
- Review the cables and charger bricks/adapters. Some adapters/cables are not needed.
- Weight is very, very important.
- (For trips longer than 5 days) Nail clippers are must-haves.
- Plan around having dirty laundry ahead of schedule. Do laundry prior to returning to better manage space in the suitcase/backpack.
- Two pairs of jeans maximum. Mix with two pairs of shorts if weather permits.
- Review swimming-wear rules (if applicable). No need to bring trunks if the location won’t let you wear it.
- Bring a book if you actually plan to read it. Unnecessary weight is unnecessary.
- Sleepwear is (usually) unnecessary, unless it is really, really cold. You sleep in your underwear and T-shirt.
- Sweatpants outdoors is not presentable. Bring only if you have access to a gym.
- Apple Watch if you care about stats. (You do). Otherwise, automatic will suffice.
- You stress too much. Go meditate.
- Workout jacket is not necessary, unless it’s cold and you have access to a gym.
- If the place you’re staying provides towels, don’t bring one. Hand towel is enough to wash your face on a long flight.
- Weight is very, very important, enough to reiterate twice.
tl;dr: bring less stuff and pick either your iPad or laptop to complement your phone. The extra 1 or 3 pounds makes a difference for long-hauls.
1 Link to Amazon.com for the Osprey Farpoint 55 Travel Backpack